Cannabidiol has been growing in popularity over the years, with numerous types of products becoming available for purchase. As it happens in different industries, novelty products such as CBD edibles and drinks can quickly rack up the price of your shopping cart, but the good news is that you can easily make them at home for a fraction of the price.
For all of these recipes, you’ll just need to have flowers with a high CBD content. From this product, you’ll be able to produce activated CBD flowers which can then be used to prepare further recipes. With this in mind, the first step required for all of these recipes is to:
Activate The CBD In Your Hemp Flowers Through Decarboxylation
The first step into making CBD products at home is to activate the cannabidiol from the hemp flower through a process called decarboxylation, which allows the CBD to become bioavailable.
A simple way to activate the CBD is through heat, which can be achieved by baking the hemp flowers in an oven at a steady temperature for a medium period of time. For this, you’ll need:
- Baking sheet;
- Parchment paper;
- Hemp flowers with high CBD content.
Once you’ve gathered all the necessary products, you just need to follow these steps:
- Preheat the oven at 280 degrees Fahrenheit, or 138 degrees Celsius;
- Break the hemp buds into small pieces and space them on the baking sheet which has been lined with parchment paper;
- Place the baking sheet in the oven, turning the flowers every 10 minutes for a period of 60 minutes;
- Remove from the oven when the flowers are fragrant and let them cool before using.
Now that you have your activated CBD flowers, you can use them along with a carrier oil to make your own CBD oil. For this recipe, you’ll need:
- 5 grams of high-CBD activated flowers;
- 3/4 cup / 175 millilitres of olive oil;
- Fine mesh strainer;
- Glass jar or bottle.
The process of infusing a carrier oil with CBD flowers is quite simple:
- Add the olive oil and the CBD flowers to the saucepan;
- Place the saucepan on the stove at minimum heat;
- Let the flowers infuse the oil for 2 hours;
- Allow the oil to cool and strain it through a fine mesh sieve to a glass jar or bottle.
To make CBD butter, you’ll also use the decarboxylated flowers you’ve previously prepared. For this recipe, you’ll need:
- 1/8 cup / 10 grams of activated high-CBD flowers;
- 1 cup / 128 grams of butter;
- Fine mesh strainer;
- Glass jar.
Once you’ve prepared all the ingredients and materials you need for the recipe, you can:
- Grind the CBD flowers;
- Melt the butter in the saucepan at a very low heat to prevent it from burning;
- Once the butter is melted, add the CBD flowers to the saucepan;
- Let the mixture simmer in a low heat of around 160 degrees Fahrenheit or 70 degrees Celsius for 2 to 3 hours;
- Stir occasionally and ensure that the mixture never boils;
- Strain the butter and CBD flowers mixture to a glass jar with the help of a funnel and a fine mesh strainer;
- Refrigerate the jar of butter until firm.
CBD Cookies With Chocolate Chips
Homemade chocolate chip cookies are one of the most popular recipes. For this one, you can use the CBD oil you’ve previously made or the CBD butter. If using CBD butter, make sure that you use a small quantity and mix it with regular butter.
The ingredients and tools needed for this recipe are:
- Baking sheet lined with parchment paper;
- Mixing bowl;
- 1 cup / 128 grams of butter;
- 1 cup / 128 grams of white sugar;
- 1 cup / 128 grams of brown sugar;
- 2 eggs;
- 1 1/2 teaspoon / 8 millilitres of vanilla extract;
- 1/2 teaspoon / 2.5 millilitres of CBD oil;
- 1 teaspoon / 5 grams of baking soda;
- 2 teaspoons / 10 millilitres of water;
- 1/2 teaspoon / 2.5 grams of salt;
- 3 cups / 385 grams of all-purpose flour;
- 2 cups / 255 grams of chocolate chips.
Once you’ve gathered the necessary ingredients, you can start preparing your chocolate chip CBD cookies:
- Preheat the oven at 325 degrees Fahrenheit or 160 degrees Celsius;
- In a bowl, mix the softened butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth;
- Add in one egg at a time and mix until smooth;
- Mix the vanilla extract and the CBD oil in the mixture;
- Add the baking soda and salt and mix until dissolved;
- Stir in the flour and chocolate chips and gently mix with a spoon;
- Place large spoonfuls of the cookie batter into the baking sheet;
- Bake in the oven for 12 minutes or until the edges are nicely cooked.
CBD Mint Tea
One of the easiest recipes you’ll ever make with cannabidiol is CBD tea. This particular one offers a refreshing feeling, and all you need is:
- 1 gram of activated CBD flower
- 5 leaves of fresh mint;
- 4 cups / 1 litre of boiling water
- Saucepan with a lid;
- Tea ball or infuser;
- Glass bottle or jar.
To make the tea, follow these instructions:
- Bring the water to a boil in the saucepan;
- Grind the CBD flower and place it in the infuser or tea ball;
- Place the infuser/tea ball in the water and turn off the heat;
- Add the mint leaves;
- Let the tea infuse for 10 to 15 minutes with the lid on;
- Remove the infuser/tea ball and the mint leaves;
- Place the tea in a glass bottle or jar;
- You can place the tea in the refrigerator to enjoy it cold, or drink it while warm.
Another CBD product you can make at home is CBD salve and even though it’s not edible, it can be used to potentially soothe skin or localized pains and aches. To prepare this salve, you’ll need:
- Glass bowl;
- Container to store the CBD salve;
- 2 1/2 teaspoons / 10 grams of jojoba oil;
- 2 1/2 teaspoons / 10 grams of beeswax;
- 2 1/2 teaspoons / 12 millilitres of CBD oil;
- 8 drops of camphor essential oil;
- 8 drops of turmeric essential oil;
- 8 drops of peppermint essential oil;
- 6 drops / 0.3 grams of vitamin E;
Once you’ve weighed and prepared all the ingredients, you can start preparing your CBD salve by:
- Placing water in the saucepan and bringing it to boil;
- Putting the beeswax and the jojoba oil in the glass bowl and use it as a double boiler in the saucepan;
- Melt these two ingredients and stir them together;
- Remove the saucepan from heat and let it cool slightly;
- Add the CBD oil and mix thoroughly;
- Remove the glass bowl from the saucepan and let it cool a bit further;
- Add the essential oils and vitamin E when the mixture is no longer hot to the touch;
- Place the mixture in your container and allow it to completely cool before using.
Making cannabidiol-based products at home is an easy way to make use of your CBD flowers while increasing the ways to ingest your daily dose. Cannabis Sativa has been used for centuries as an ingredient for edibles, and you too can now create your own CBD products according to your tastes and needs.