Coronavirus cases are increasing. There have been over 40 million cases. The US leads the pack with around 8 million cases. Other countries that have been badly affected include Russia, Brazil, and India. This disease originated in Wuhan, China.
The race to find a coronavirus cure is underway with American, European, and Asian scientists leading the way. Several vaccines are on trial. As the pharmaceutical front is racing to find a vaccine, there has been talk of alternative medicine treatments that can help to reduce the impact of the virus. One of the remedies that have obtained increasing focus is medical marijuana (CBD.) This is harvested from the weed plant. A special type of weed needs to be grown specifically for medical purposes.
- A possible CBD treatment will particularly help the elderly and people with preexisting conditions. These two groups have been badly hit by the virus. Over 80% of people who die from the coronavirus are people over 50 years.
Inflammation is a major cause of disease. At the root of many cancers, there is inflammation. The inflammation of cardiac vessels leads to heart attack, which is the leading cause of death in the Western world. There is a relationship between severe coronavirus and lung inflammation. That is according to a study that was carried out by American researchers.
- Combating lung inflammation can help in fighting Covid-19, which usually attacks the lungs and in serious cases makes it hard to breathe. Most people who die because of coronavirus do so because of respiratory problems that make them be placed under a ventilator. Even in developed countries such as the US and the UK, there has been a shortage of ventilators.
CBD & Lung Inflammation
Scientists have discovered that CBD- the primary element in medical marijuana can help in fighting inflammation in Covid-19 patients. CBD has many health benefits. It is primarily used to fight depression and anxiety. It can play a role in pain management and fighting inflammation.
- CBD is the most medically useful part of the marijuana plant. The other element of this plant is called THC, which is the element that causes the high feeling associated with the plant. CBD does not cause any euphoric sensation and it is 100% safe.
- Studies indicate that CBD can help treat or prevent coronavirus. Prevention is always the best option. It is better to prevent Covid-19 rather than to wait for it to occur so that to try and find a solution.
- CBD is 100% natural. It doesn’t contain synthetic elements. That makes it particularly safe and effective in fighting disease. Most drugs have been manufactured using chemicals; therefore, they can have serious side effects. With CBD, the risk of side effects is very low.
- Most pharmaceutical remedies that are undergoing trial have caused side effects in some patients. Pursuing the natural path in searching for a remedy seems reasonable.
Many people are turning to probiotic supplements and foods to increase the ratios of beneficial bacteria in their gut. Unfortunately, many of these live cultures die off before they have the opportunity to colonize the colon.
CBD Fights Cytokine Storm
Cytokine storm occurs in the lungs when there is an intense inflammation caused by Covid-19 or any other lung infection. There is no medicine for cytokine storm. However, researchers from all over the world are experimenting with therapies that can help in fighting cytokine storm such as CBD therapy.
Specific cytokines including IL-17 are responsible for inflammation associated with this ailment. CBD can bring down these cytokines. That will help in eliminating the respiratory damage caused by this virus.
- Cytokine storm reduces oxygen level by over 10%. This is a serious drop considering that oxygen is the basic lifeline of human beings. Without oxygen, no one can live. Even a one-percent drop in blood oxygenation is life-threatening. Most people end up dying from the coronavirus because of being deprived of oxygen.
- Cytokine can structurally damage the lungs. In most Covid-19 cases, physical lung damage has been observed. The damage can persist even after a person recovers from the virus. This will affect the daily conduct of life. CBD might be effective in healing the structural damage.
- CBD can help in reducing the pain and suffering associated with coronavirus. It can facilitate total recovery from the virus. Many people with coronavirus continue to suffer long after the virus has been cleared from their bodies.
CBD Has Also Shown Effectiveness with Other Viruses
CBD has antiviral properties. It also has antibacterial properties. CBD oil has already been experimented with the HIV/AIDS virus, and the results have been promising. It is for that reason that many scientists believe it can be effective in fighting coronavirus, which is a virus that attacks the lungs.
Research Carried Out on Mice
So far, there have been no human studies. All the research has been carried out on mice. In one study, a cytokine storm was artificially induced in mice. Afterward, some of the mice were treated with CBD. A control group was treated with a saline solution instead of CBD. This research showed the power of CBD treating lung damage.
- In the mice given CBD, there were better inflammatory indices. Also, the homeostasis process was reestablished. This led to an increase in white blood cells. The human body needs these cells to fight off disease.
- Researchers believe that CBD can fight other respiratory illnesses apart from Covid-19.
Human Studies Needed
To verify whether CBD can help, human studies are needed. This is likely to take place by the end of 2020 or early in 2021.
Scientists are aware of the regulatory effects of CBD. Medical marijuana is normally well distributed in the body’s endocannabinoid system. That makes it a possible candidate for treating the various inflammatory diseases including Covid-19.
The studies that have been done so far on the effects of CBD in treating the coronavirus offer hope. They provide optimism that the monster called Covid-19 might be eliminated in the near future. They also offer encouragement about the potential of medical marijuana to treat other serious illnesses such as cancer, heart disease, and Alzheimer’s disease.
These are some of the conditions that have defeated modern-day medicine. However, there is a need for further research before Covid-19 patients start using CBD. Cannabis advocates continue being justified with every passing day.
Leave a Reply